Bahasa Inggris SMA PROCEDURE
A procedural text telling you how to do something.
It usually includes:
– the goal of the activity;
– any materials needed to achieve the goal; and
– steps to accomplish the goal.
The grammatical features of this procedural text include:
– the use of commands, e.g. ‘cut’, ‘add’, ‘pour’;
– the use of action verbs, e.g. ‘wash’, ‘boil’;
– the use of precise vocabulary, e.g. ‘fry’, ‘boil’, ‘fragrant’; and
– the use of adverbials to express details of time and place, manner and so on, e.g. ‘1 inch thick’, ’until fragrant’, ‘until the chicken changes color’.
Fill in the blanks with the suitable words. Compare your work with a classmate’s.
Look at the example.
First Cook Cut Oil
Then Finally Stir Absorbed
Satay Ayam Madura (Madura Chicken Satay)
• 2 chicken breasts, each 360 g
• 3 tbs vegetable oil
• 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 candle nuts, grated
• 2 tbs coconut, desiccated
• 1 tbs coriander
• 1 tbs sambal
• ½ tbs lemon grass, ground
• 1 pea-size dried shrimp paste, softened with 2 tbs water
• 1 tbs brown sugar
• Bamboo or metal skewers
• First, skin the chicken breasts, if desired, and ______ into bite-size cubes and set aside.
• _________, heat __________ in a saucepan and add all remaining ingredients. _______ well and heat through before removing from heat.
• After that, add the chicken cubes to cooked mixture and leave for at least 1 hour to allow strong aromatic spices to be ___________.
• ___________, skewer marinated meat and ________ until well done over charcoal heat. Serve.
Read the following text and make the recipe of Ginger Coconut Coffee. Compare your recipe with your classmates’.
The Sweet Ginger Coconut Coffee (Bajigur)
This afternoon I went to my aunt’s house. She was making a Ginger Coconut Coffee. I have never drunk this kind of beverage before. I helped her make it. It wasn’t difficult to make it. I’ll tell you the recipe. First, you have to prepare the ingredients. What you need are 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced thinly, 1/2 tsp, grated fresh nutmeg, 1 stick cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 inch lemon grass, minced, 4 tbs. Coffee, powdered, 1 cup coconut milk, 2 tbs. palm sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 4 tbs young coconut fresh. When those ingredients are already in front of you, you have to heat the ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and lemon grass in 3 cup water. Then, simmer lightly for 10 minutes. After that, turn off the heat, add the ground coffee and allow steeping for a few minutes. Strain the solids from this liquid and add the coconut milk, palm sugar and salt. Simmer gently for 2 minutes. Finally, add the coconut fresh and a sprinkle of nutmeg on top. Well, that’s all and you’ll have your sweet Ginger Coconut Coffee!
Gudeg Jogja (Green Jack Fruit Sweet Stew)
– 5 onions
– 10 candlenuts
– 10 garlic cloves
– 4 bay Leaves
– 1/2 lb. (250g) green jack fruit
– 2-1/2 tsp. (12g) coriander seeds
– 1-1/4 tsp. (6g) cumin
– 1/4 cup (62ml) coconut sugar
– 2 cups (500ml) coconut milk
– 2 tsp. (30g) tamarind
– 2 lb. (1kg) chicken (cut into small pieces with bone)
– 5 cups (1.25l) water
– 2 inches bruised galangal
– First, cut green jack fruit 1 inch thick. Wash and boil until tender.
– Next, ground onions, candle nuts, sauté paste, bay leaves, and galangal until fragrant.
– Add the chicken pieces, stir fry until chicken changes clour.
– Then, pour 4 cups of water and coconut sugar, bring to a boil.
– Add the green jack fruit and simmer until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
– Finally, add coconut milk 5 minutes before it’s done, bring back to a boil. Serve hot with rice.
This dish is sweet and usually served with shrimp cracker.
tbs : tablespoon lb : pound
tsp : teaspoon oz : ounce
kg : kilogram l : litre
g : gram ml : milliliter
1. What does the text tell you?
2. What ingredients do you need?
3. What equipment do you need?
4. What are the steps to cook it?
5. How do you serve it?
Read the following text and choose the correct answer to the questions that follow.
How to Find Unusual Gifts
Giving gifts is a well-known way to show our attention toward somebody else. Moreover, giving gifts may be important for certain special moments. Unusual or even weird gifts would leave a sweet memory for us and the recipient. So, try these tips to find something unusual as your gifts. Look for gifts wherever you find yourself, especially when you were on a trip.
From a bazaar in
Bandungto a tag sale in . Use the Internet. Follow links until you find what you want. Track down items such as rare prints, out-of-print books or antiques in the auction. Berlin
Give a welcome service. A massage, costume makeovers, a day at the spa, or romantic dinner will be a nice welcome gift. Combine one or two things for a spectacular effect. The picture frame that you bought in
Balimight provide the perfect background for showing off the portrait of the recipient. Come to a handicrafts store and talk to the people that make unique pieces. Visit art supply stores, craft shops, art galleries and factory stores for ideas.
1. The word well-known in the first line means ….
2. Where may we look for unusual gifts?
b. In an auction.
c. In the internet.
d. In the craft shop.
3. Before give an unusual gifts, it is suggested that we give … first
a. a rare print
b. a photo frame
c. a unique furniture
d. a welcome service
4. The word in the text that means not too many is ….
5. Giving gifts may be important to ….
a. make us unusual
b. complete our collections
c. get the recipient attention
d. celebrate special moments
This is the way an omelette should be made. It is important that the frying pan should be proportionate to the number of eggs; in other words, to the size of the omelette. The frying pan must be made of iron, not of aluminum, tin or enamel. And here I feel I must stress a point essential to what might be called the background of omelette-making, namely that the frying-pan must never be washed with water but rubbed, when hot, with salt and tissue–paper, as this is the only way to prevent sticking.
For three portions, we take six eggs, break them into a bowl, season them with salt and freshly ground pepper, and add a good teaspoonful of water. We beat this lightly with a fork or the wire–broom, not the whisk, until large bubbles form on the top. This takes half a minute; it is fatal to beat too long. Meanwhile, our frying pan is getting hot, not too hot, and we of the omelette along one side. Then, it is quite easy to roll it into shape. Our omelette should be golden brown outside and wet inside: baveuse, as the drop in an ounce and a half of butter, or butter and best lard, over a quick flame for a minute or two, until it gives no more froth and has turned light golden. We give our egg-mixture another stir and pour it into the fan, letting it spread evenly over the frying–pan.
All this is a swift business, and we may well feel a few extra heart–beats and a little breath less ness at that moment. The flame is now turned down a little. With a fork or palette-knife (a fork seems to work particularly well) we loosen the edges of the omelette all round and, once or twice, in the middle, letting the liquid flow into the empty spaces, taking care always to move towards the middle. This takes about two minutes. Then, keeping as calm as we possibly can, we fold it. This is easy if we fold over and pin down with two or three fork-pricks about an inch and-a-half classical French term says. It is then slid on to a hot plate and its surface made shiny with a little butter. This last touch makes all the difference.
Answer these questions
1. What is important about the frying pan?
a. It should be the same size as the omelette.
b. It should never be a small one.
c. It should never be too small to hold the eggs.
d. It should never be a very flat one.
2. Which of the following frying pan is among those mentioned by the writer?
a. One made of aluminum.
b. One made of aluminum and enamel.
c. One made of iron.
d. One made of tin
3. What is the only way to prevent sticking?
a. Rubbing with hot salt and tissue paper.
b. Rubbing with hot water.
c. Rubbing with salt and paper.
d. Washing with salt and paper.
4. Is it a good thing to beat the omelette too long?
c. It doesn’t matter.
d. It is better than beating it for to short a time.
5. When should we pour in the egg mixture?
a. When the flame gives no more froth.
b. When the butter is a different shade.
c. A soon as the flame is light Golden.
d. When the frying-pan is getting hot.
6. Lia : Do you have a new magazine?
Ani : Yes, . It’s very interesting.
a. here it is
b. here they are
c. here is it
d. here are they
7. Eka : to my friend, Dedy.
Dedy : How do you do?
Reni : How do you do?
a. I’ll introduce
b. You are introduced
c. Won’t you introduce
d. Let me introduce you
8. Heldy : How do you do? My name is Heldy.
Ferry : I am Ferry.
a. Good morning.
b. How are you?
c. How do you do?
d. Let me introduce myself.
9. Evi : Will you come with me to the concert?
Adi : …………………………
Evi : Alright. I’ll fetch you at 8 p.m.
a. That’s very kind of you, but I’m very busy.
b. Thanks a lot, but some other time, maybe.
c. Yes, that would be very nice. Thanks.
d. I’d be unhappy to accept it.
10. Teacher : Thanks for your help, Hanny.
Student : ………………………….
a. Don’t worry about it.
b. Sorry, it didn’t work out.
c. Sure. Too bad it didn’t work.
d. You are entirely welcome.
Study and pronounce the following words. Then, read the text and answer the questions.
crisp (ks) : renyah
dough (kb) : adonan
gravy (kb) : kuah daging
sauce (kb) : saus
slice (kb) : irisan, potongan
squeeze (kkt) : memeras
topping (kb) : cream, keju, dll yang diletakkan diatas makanan
1 cup rice salt to taste
3 screw pine leaves 1 grated coconut
First, clean the rice and drain.
Then, squeeze out 2 cups of thick coconut milk with screw pine leaves. Add in salt. If you desire, you can also add in some sliced onions and ginger.
Finally, serve this rice with sliced hard-boiled eggs, cucumber, and Sambal Ikan Bilis.
Nasi Lemak is usually served with Sambal Ikan Bilis.
Sambal Ikan Bilis is made of dried ikan bilis (anchovies),
onion, onion, garlic, tamarind juice, dried chilies, shrimp paste, salt and sugar. bombay
Sambal Ikan Bilis
1 bombay onion
1/2 cup dried ikan bilis (anchovies)
1 clove garlic
2 tbs tamarind juice
8 dried chillies
shrimp paste (belacan) (optional)
salt and sugar to taste
First, fry the ikan bilis until crisp and put aside.
Then, grind the shrimp paste together with onion, garlic, dried chilies. Slice the
onion into rings. bombay
After that, heat 2 tbs oil in a pan and fry the ground ingredients until fragrant.
Add in the onion rings.
Add tamarind juice, salt, and sugar.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the gravy thickens.
Add in the ikan bilis and mix well.
Finally, serve with steaming hot Nasi Lemak.
1. What do the texts tell you?
2. What ingredients do you need to make Nasi Lemak?
3. What are the steps to cook it?
4. What ingredients do you need to make Sambal Ikan Bilis?
5. What are the steps to cook it?
6. How do you serve Nasi Lemak?
Complete the following recipe of making Chinese Fried Rice with words below
heat egg fork pan brown
Chinese Fried Rice
2 eggs beaten
1 red or green pepper
2 large onions
chopped 10 ml
tsp corn oil
3 green onions
1/4 cup soy sauce optional
1 cup instant rice
3 stalks celery
1 cup water
1. Cook the eggs in a large … over low heat until set.
Break up with a … Remove from pan.
2. Combine the onions, oil, and 2 tsp of the soy sauce in the pan. Cook and stir until onion is … Add remaining ingredients and … to boiling.
3. Reduce heat, simmer 1 minute. Stir in reserved … Remove from heat, cover tightly, let stand 5 minutes. Stir before serving.
• 250 gr cod or any white meat fish
• 125 gr tapioca or corn flour
• 2 tbsp light Soya sauce
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp oil (to prevent the dough sticky)
• For type Kapal selam, you need 3 hard boiled eggs slice half
• 5 chilies
• 100 gr palm sugar
• 2 tbsp sugar
• Salt and pepper
• 2 tbsp light Soya sauce
• 2 tbsp ebi (dried prawn)
• Handful diced cucumber
• 4 tbsp rice vinegar
• 1 tsp tamarind
• 250 ml water
Boil all soup ingredients into sauce pan
1. Blend all the ingredients into food processor until the smooth like a dough, you could put splash of water if you need it.
2. Put enough fish cake into your hand and put half boiled egg in the middle and cover it with the dough and put into boiled water until floating.
3. Drain all the water, deep fry it and add some of the soup.
1. The text tells you about …
a. how to make Pempek Palembang
b. how to eat Pempek Palembang
c. the soup ingredients to make Pempek Palembang
d. how to prepare the ingredients to make Pempek Palembang
e. the equipment needed to make Pempek Palembang
2. The followings are the main ingredients you need to make Pempek Palembang, except…..
c. corn flour
d. Soya sauce
3. What is the use of the food processor?
a. to boil the ingredients
b. to measure the ingredients
c. to fry the ingredients
d. to blend the ingredients
e. to heat the ingredients
4. Why is oil needed to prepare the dough?
a. to fry the dough
b. to clean the dough
c. to heat the dough
d. to make the dough softer
e. to prevent the dough from being sticky